Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My Bible, Their Bible

(This is an in-class essay in response to an assigned reading of Homophobic: Read Your Bible )

Recently, I attended a party filled with intelligent and scholarly folks, the majority of them African American. We talked about food, music, the current state of the economy and our approval or disapproval of the moves made by President Obama. We talked about how far we as a people have come, how far we have to go and how we are doing our part to change the world.

However, when the conversation turned to the rights of our gay and lesbian citizens, it was amazing how quickly my people of darker skin, whose ancestors endured fierce dog attacks and powerful blasts of water from hoses not that long ago, felt it was acceptable to use discrimination and deny the rights of a group of people. They brought out Bible quotes and ignorant phrases to get their point across that these people should be forced to deal with injustice and all I could do was shake my head and proudly announce they were wrong and how strongly I disagreed with their theories.

In “Homophobic: Read Your Bible,” Peter Gomes list several instances where citizens of this melting pot of cultures, races and backgrounds we know as the US of A, have condemned to hell those who have chosen this unforgiving lifestyle of evil. I deeply respect his vision and interpretation of Bible passages that have been used against homosexuals for many years and with his highly distinguished position in the religious sector, it proves that there are some people who truly do attempt to love and accept all.

Religious fundamentalism is inherently intolerant (Gomes). He is completely accurate in this assessment. Deeply religious persons will take a strong stance on issues regarding situations that don’t fit their needs, yet, bend rules and interpretations on others. Gomes references the Bible being used by Jerry Falwell to keep his churches white as the same Bible used by Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. to promote equality and fairness. How can the Bible preach segregation and equality all at once? It’s left up to interpretation and the background of the interpreter.

Gomes references the Holiness Code that prohibits homosexuality as well as eating raw meat, planting different seeds in the same field, tattoos and adultery. How many times are people crusading against a couple for infidelity? How many deeply religious people are picketing tattoo parlors? How many of them have eaten meat that wasn’t fully cooked? I’m sure many will disregard experiences that allow them to enjoy life instead of admitting they too are committing acts considered unholy.

Over and over I’ve stated to many friends that it is not my right to tell someone else how to live their life. I have my own issues, my own problems and my own sins that I will have to answer for one day; why should I impose my beliefs onto someone else without knowing each struggle and path they’ve taken? How can I judge when I don’t know what they’ve encountered thus far in life and don’t know what challenges lie ahead of them? How can I decide that sins I’ve committed are less sinful than ones they have? I cannot, nor should anyone else attempt to pass judgment as the Bible clearly states only one God is worthy of that honor. Prejudice, in any form, is against anything ever taught by God, and those who’ve not learned that lesson lose the true meaning of the Bible each moment they decide to condemn the lifestyle of anyone else.

I hope I gave a few of those party attendees something to ponder that night and the next day when they attended their weekly church services. How can we remember the road our ancestors have traveled in order for us to live as we do today and wish the same struggle and inequality upon others? My Bible tells me to “love thy neighbor as I love thyself.” Doesn’t your Bible say the same thing?

No comments: